Pope John XXIII School has a long history in Catholic education in Evanston dating back to 1886 with the establishment of St. Nicholas and St. Mary’s Schools. The original St. Nicholas School was in the building now called the Annex where Fr. Oldershaw Hall is located. The Annex at the present time holds the gym, computer lab, and the music room. The main school building was built in 1954. In 1986 the two schools, St. Mary’s and St. Nicholas consolidated and the new school was renamed Pope John XXIII. This consolidation is a success story for both parishes and for the Archdiocese.
Pope John XXIII School thrived and continued the heritage of academic excellence from St. Mary’s and St. Nicholas Schools. In 1998 the convent was converted to the Pope John XXIII Preschool. The preschool has grown from a modest enrollment of 17 students to over 50 students!
Pope John XXIII School has been blessed with dedicated pastors right from the start with Fr. Robert Oldershaw and Fr. Edward Hoover to the present pastors Fr. Greg Sakowicz and Fr. William Tkachuk. The administration of the school has been under the direction of seven excellent principals: Raenetta Martin, Nancy Shultz, Lucine Mastalerz, Rosalie Musiala, Jeff Taylor, Roy Hecker, and Gail Hulse. This is the first year of the current principal, Gail Hulse, leading the school.